Friday, August 27, 2010

Trolley Tour and other weekend thoughts

Tonight is the South Main Historic Arts District Friday Art Trolley Tour. I'm excited about heading down, mostly because the last time I attended a trolley tour on a summer night that actually saw beautiful weather I remember that night to be one of the best trolley tours I've ever experienced.

So far today the weather is beautiful. So my hopes are high. I'll start things off at my regular Friday hangout, South of Beale.

There are a handful of happenings tonight at Trolley Tour. Here are some highlights:

Folk Alliance International will have live music by Anthony Da Costa, Rania Rose, John Elliott and Valerie June.

The Memphis Music Foundation at 431 S. Main will honor Memphis Music Educators tonight with special guests Mei Ann Chen of the Memphis Symphony Orchestra and Youth Symphony director Stilian Kirov.

The Robinson Gallery at 44 Huling will present Margaret Goodman's "Botanical Creations: Living Metalwork."


And over at 513S. Front at 6:45 there will be the second annual wine labeling party for the RiverArtsFest. This year's artist, Jimpsie Ayres, will be signing the 2010 Festival Wine Labels. The bottles will be for sale at the Corkscrew.

I will, of course, be making a stop at my new regular place, MPACT Memphis, since I joined at last month's Trolley Tour.

I know there is an opening at Art Under a Hot Tin Roof (Main and Gayoso) but I don't recall what it is. Sorry, but take my word for it. And I'm sure there are some other things going, but please cut me some slack. This is my first week to do this blog.

Other weekend arts events (that I'm aware of):

Downtown Farmers Market, highlighted by a children's performance by Memphis musician Valerie June. She also will be performing at Trolley Tour tonight.

Battle for a Cure, a battle of the bands at Minglewood Hall benefitting the Mid-South chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Read this story in today's The Daily News for more.

Another unique event that was featured in The Daily News today is the Soccer Rocks Music Festival at Mike Rose Soccer Complex on Saturday.

I just came across this one on Twitter: Voices of the South hosts the Backbeat Tour Dash and Dine.


What else? Let's see, well Memphis band the Limes has a CD release party Saturday at the Hi Tone. I'm contemplating getting their album on emusic. This is much more my style of music versus the other local album release this week from The Magic Kids (see my earlier post).

IndiaFest 2010 is Saturday (also an earlier post), "The Color Purple" is at The Orpheum and "Annie Get Your Gun" is showing at Theatre Memphis through Sept. 12. Other ongoing theater options include "The Drowsy Chaperone" at Playhouse on the Square and "The Wiz" at Hattiloo Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment