Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Music and Suds in the Great Outdoors

What did you do last weekend? Did it involve the local arts scene?

My weekend got off to a good start with one expected arts event and another one that was not expected but I was very happy it happened.

On Thursday night I took my 3-year-old son (this is starting to become a trend, I see) to the Thursday Night Live event at the National Ornamental Metal Museum. It was the ArtsMemphis night meaning all members got in free. And as a Bravo Memphis member that included me. I'm a sucker for free things so despite the fact I had to drive to Collierville ... from my office in Downtown ... only to turn right back around and drive back Downtown (yes, a lot of driving) I did it.

I thought my music-loving son would be really interested in seeing Memphis group Star & Micey, and he was somewhat. But he was more interested in the amazing view of the river from the museum's lawn. I was pleased to see the band and was even more pleased to hear new tunes not on their CD I bought several months ago.

It was a good time and something I encourage you to check out. It will be going on the next two Thursdays. (Spoiler alert: My newspaper, The Daily News, will have a story on the event in Thursday's edition.)

The other event I attended was Friday's Art on Tap at the Dixon Gallery and Gardens. I had no plans to attend considering the $50 per person admission. Of course that's even more reason to join the city's many great arts organizations such as ArtsMemphis and buy museum memberships. Young at Art, for example, costs $150 per couple per year and includes admission to Art on Tap and other events.

But on this night I had an offer for two free tickets. And OF COURSE I'LL TAKE YOUR FREE TICKETS. It's nice to be friends with people who have friends with great connections.

So we went and had a great time. It was a bit warmer than I would have liked. And there weren't as many beers to sample as Zoo Brew but I think the selection was strong. I actually enjoyed the vibe more. The presence of food from a number of Memphis restaurants, including those awesome sliders from Bardog, made it even better.

Didn't get a chance to check out the art inside the Dixon. So I'm not really sure if I can include Art on Tap in my year of arts events challenge. But hey, I did walk through the front gardens. That has to count for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment